Thursday, June 4, 2009

When the Rain Comes...

When the rain comes you blame it on the things that you have done
When the storm fades
you know that rain must fall on everyone
Rest awhile, it'll be alright
No one loves you like I do
(Third Day - When the Rain Comes)

I love the rain. I really always have. My favorite is a gusting thunderstorm that just seems to bellow and speak of the power and glory of God. While it may sound strange, these times make me feel very close and satisfied with God.

However, I realize that to some people rain (and especially thunderstorms) do not sit with them in the same way. Rain is seen as a nuisance and saboteur of these times of joy and satisfaction, a natural enemy that comes with its own supply of solvent to wash away your happiness. That is why we have terms like "Don't rain on my parade" and why we draw singular storm clouds as following around the cursed characters in cartoons.

Jesus even chimes in on the subject in Matthew 5 when He states, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

In this passage Jesus is making it clear that both good and bad times fall on both the sons of God and the sons of perdition. We should expect nothing less as God unveils His plan. However, our tendency seems to be that we think that God is out to get us when the rain falls on us. Well, today, the rain fell in a mighty way.

I am going to make this short because I could easily drag it out and give every detail. For your own sanity, I will abbreviate. I got up earlier than normal this morning to have a quiet time before breakfast. Then, our caterers forgot to make us breakfast (no spicy gravy today... yikes). However, I got to have a really good sandwich that I enjoyed immensely. We then went to great ministry site called "Light of the Village" that is smack dab in the middle of some serious gang territory (with constant violence) and meet some really amazing kids. Then we headed out and got a chance to play some basketball (my first love). Sounds like a blessed and fantastic day.

However, while we were playing something happened. A young man named Lamar was playing some aggressive defense on me and did a great job of trying to block my shot... by accidentally poking me in the eye. I actually saw his fingers IN my eye... it was rough

Now I'll fast forward a bit... after several hours of denial, I ended up going to a doctor's office and then seeing an ophthalmologist where I was diagnosed with a corneal abrasion (cut). It is totally one of the more excruciating things I have ever had to deal with and was basically promised by the doctor that the next two days will be quite horrible (We start camp on Monday, by the way). I am actually writing this here blog while wearing me eye patch... arg...

Couple this with the fact that I came down sick a few days ago and I would normally start to have to complain. However, is it really worth it? Sure, today I got a pretty heavy dowsing of some spiritual rain. Perhaps someone who does not know Jesus got a heavy dose of sunshine. However, I get the relish and revel in the knowledge that God is constantly showering down His mercy and favor on me because I am a child of His.

So with that said, I will rest well here while wearing my eye patch, keeping my cough drops near, and praising the Maker of the heavens and earth while I watch this very real thunderstorm out my window. And it will all be alright because no one loves me like He does.

I love you all so very much...

1 comment: