Monday, April 19, 2010

Artificial Mentorship - The Lament of a Mentor-less Mentee

I currently find myself in an interesting season of life. Shannon and I will be celebrating our fourth anniversary in just a few months. I am a proud dad who gets to watch my son grow and learn by leaps and bounds while another little one is knit together in Shannon's womb. I am a grad student at seminary and get the privilege to study alongside great men of God. I get a chance to occasionally stand in front of hundreds of people and proclaim the incredible gospel of God. I am working hard to get my teaching certification so I can get our student loan debt completely paid off. I am 26 1/2 years old, which means that my prefontal cortex is finally 100% finished developing, giving me the ability for complete, rational, decision-making. So I finally have to come to terms with this ugly truth and admit it...

I am finally an adult.

However, while I do adult-ish things and do my best to lead my family, I have a problem. I am lazy. Unmotivated. Easily distracted. Un-evangelistic. Hard-hearted. Lacking direction. Lacking accountability. Lacking depth that I used to crave. Okay, so maybe I have a few problems.

To boil it down, I am childish and desperately in need of a mentor. I never truly understood this need until I saw others benefit from having someone to sit under and speak into their life. I have had great friends over the years who have been a great benefit to me, but this need goes beyond what can be procured in a simple friendship. After spending years in the ministry you get used to pouring out time and time again without anyone to pour into you. It is pretty exhausting to give out and never really take in.

Well, that leads to another problem. I don't have anyone to mentor me. Being new to Fort Worth, we simply do not know that many people. Those who I think would make great mentors are already filling that role for others (not to mention my own fears of truly opening up to others, but that is for another time).

So what is my solution? Well, I could just wallow in self-pity (I'm actually pretty skilled at that). However, I am finally fed up enough to act on this problem. Since I cannot buy a mentor or just conjure up such a relationship out of thin air, I am working an "artificial mentorship program" for myself where I can regularly sit under the teaching of great men of God. Here are some of my goals:
  • Listen to the entirety of the sermons from The Village Church's resource archive as part of my daily devotional. While I haven't added it up, my estimation is there are about 350-400 sermons. I plan on listening to 1-3 per day, so this may take up to a year or more to complete. Why did I pick The Village? Shannon and I formally attended there before moving to The City Church in Fort Worth to be apart of their missional community. For many years I have looked at The Village and Matt Chandler's theology as some of the most biblically sound theology/doctrine I have ever seen. I have been moved and inspired by Matt's current battle with cancer, but his doctrine and teaching have always been rock-solid and I would love to sit under that. As a person who one day would love to pastor/church plant, I cannot think of a better place to learn from.
  • I will keep a hand-written journal with notes/thoughts from each sermon along with prayers. I stink at journal writing so this is going to be a struggle, but I think it is important to document what I am learning.
  • I will also spend time in my Bible daily. Instead of doing a particular Bible reading plan, I will follow the passages the books from whatever sermon series I am listening to at the time. Pretty pumped to start in Ephesians.
  • For the summer, I will be reading books from some of my heroes. Keeping it in the reformed family, I will be reading some classic John Piper books. I have already ordered an "essential" set that includes Desiring God, The Pleasures of God, and Future Grace. I also am going to try to fit in reading one chapter of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion each day as well.
I know this is a bit ambitious, but I am tired of living a cyclical life that consists of the same old struggles (see blog name :). I want to be filled up with rich teaching from Scripture and pour out into my family, community, and church through the overflow of grace in my life. I am giving myself some time to formulate a plan and I hope to begin Monday, April 27th. I will be periodically blogging on what I am learning and what God is showing me. I would appreciate your prayers for my "artificial mentorship" to reap results but also that a true mentorship will emerge at some point. I certainly hope it does.

I love you all so very much...

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I am so excited for this season of reading and studying (not assigned by professors). I think it will be such a blessing ot you and to our whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought ... Study guides come w/ most, if not all, of the sermons & studies. What if on our Thursday lunches we start going through the "Men's Bible Studies" and talk about the study guides - listening to one a week? Objective 3rd party from smarter men than us? Accountability? Why yes, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Trey was a blogger. That's good stuff. Thanks for sharing man. This post has been an encouragement to me. Thanks for sharing. Always enjoy our Thursday lunches, but these Bible studies should add so much to those times. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So how is it all workig out?

    ReplyDelete